From Shelf Life to Sanitation: How to Take Care of Your Makeup Collection
Makeup is an essential part of many people’s daily routines, but it’s important to remember that it’s also a perishable product. Proper makeup care is crucial to ensure your products stay fresh, hygienic, and safe. This article will cover everything you need about makeup care, from shelf life and expiration dates to sanitation and storage tips.
Understanding Makeup Shelf Life
Makeup products are not designed to last forever, and their shelf life can vary depending on the product type and how it’s stored. Therefore, it’s important to pay attention to expiration dates and other indications of product freshness to ensure that you’re not using old or expired makeup, which can lead to skin irritation or infection.
Most makeup products have a shelf life of six months to two years. Liquid or cream products like foundation or concealer typically have a shorter shelf life than powder products like eyeshadows or blushes. Mascara and liquid eyeliners have the shortest shelf life, usually only lasting three to six months, due to their wet nature, which makes them more prone to bacteria growth.
Pay Attention to Expiration Dates
One of the most important things to keep in mind when taking care of your makeup collection is to check the expiration dates. Most makeup products have a small icon on the packaging that indicates how long the product is good for after opening, usually represented by a jar with an open lid and a number inside.
If you can’t remember when you opened a particular product, it’s best to err on the side of caution and replace it. Using expired makeup can cause skin irritation, acne, or even serious infections like conjunctivitis or staph infections.
Proper Sanitation Techniques
Keeping your makeup collection sanitized is another essential part of makeup care. Bacteria and germs can quickly accumulate on the surface of makeup products, especially if you use them regularly. Here are some sanitation tips to keep in mind:
- Wash your hands before applying makeup.
- Avoid using saliva or water to moisten your makeup brushes or sponges. Instead, use a professional brush cleanser or mild soap and water.
- Avoid sharing your makeup products with others.
- Clean your makeup brushes and sponges regularly, at least once a week, to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Avoid using expired or contaminated makeup products.
Proper Storage Techniques
Proper storage is also important when it comes to makeup care. Exposure to heat and sunlight can cause makeup products to deteriorate and expire more quickly. Here are some storage tips to keep in mind:
- Store makeup products in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Keep your makeup collection organized and easily accessible to avoid damaging or losing products.
- Avoid storing your makeup products in the bathroom, as the humidity can cause bacteria growth and shorten the shelf life of your products.
- Store your makeup brushes and sponges in a clean, dry place away from other products to avoid cross-contamination.
In addition to proper makeup care, it’s also important to choose high-quality, safe, and effective products. Look for cruelty-free, hypoallergenic products and free from harmful ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and synthetic fragrances.
Many great makeup brands, such as Ilia Beauty, RMS Beauty, and Tata Harper, prioritize safety and sustainability. These brands offer a wide range of products, including foundations, lipsticks, and eyeshadows, that are both high-performing and environmentally friendly.